Pages

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Discoveries

After a much less teary goodbye than I was expecting from my parents I had all of Ames to discover by myself and get set up. After much organizing and some tetrus like skills I was able to unpack 90% of my boxes and fit everything! Packing all of my stuff I was getting a bit disgusted with my materialism and the fact that I had enough stuff to pack numerous cars full and I didn't use most of it. Since I lived out of a backpack in Europe for 4 months I knew most was superfluous and unnecessary. However unloading all of it, I was glad I had it. Its the stuff that make you feels home, the silly knickknacks that don't serve much purpose but to remind you of memories or different places and be comfortably familiar when everything else is different. On that note however, I think a big cleaning is necessary at least every 2 yrs so you aren't stuck going through figurines from elementary school or sneak attacks of ex-boyfriend pictures/letters that make you want to puke a little...or a lot.

Some awesome things I discovered right away: TARGET**, Panera (fantastic bakery/restaurant), parks everywhere, salvation army ($10 microwave ooh yea), and more Mexican restaurants that any other nationality although I haven't tried any yet-not expecting much.

**I didn't allow myself into Target for a full week and half-more self control than I thought was possible since I knew once I went in all bets were off. And sure enough, once I did go, I spent $15 in the dollar section-among other things but I was good about passing up my kryptonite-dresses with pockets and flannel shirts since I really am super broke.

Hy-Vee is the grocery store here and awesomely enough they have my veggie food in good quantities, no facon but I'll survive I guess. There is a rumor that Trader Joes is being built in Des Monies- a 1/2 hr away which I would drive many times over to get my hands on so I'm pretty excited about that.



Out my room window is the back of the Vet School and a nice little exercise trail so thats pretty convenient although running here is more like swimming in a swamp than running in Arizona. The humidity is something I definitely need to adjust to, I never knew I could actually have sweat pouring off me in such quantities...like the shirt was about as wet as if I had jumped into a pool. nice visual I know. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment