Pages

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Welcome to Ames



We woke up on Friday, 8/30, to a very wet city, with rain expected all day. Great day to move! We had been pretty lucky with weather and encountering only sprinkles along the way(with the exception of my little skidding adventure) so my stuff was up to this point safe and dry. We didn't have much choice so we just started moving things, a few stuff got wet or scratched but for the most part, it was all just fine.

I was worried about the condition of the trailer since Kelsey had called me while we were still in AR and warned about numerous problems with flooring, toilet, and sink being rotten/falling apart and the ugliness of the walls. My room was a pretty hideous olive green/wood paneling mix so we first painted the walls a nice sea-foamy greenish color. The carpet is nasty with stains and smells and will be replaced by wood flooring soon. Kelsey herself had been staying up til the wee hrs of nights painting the walls to make it look a LOT better. The toilet problems had already been fixed and overall, I was expecting a small, rotting and ugly place (I had a nightmare the night before about what it would look like) but it turned out to be more roomy than I imagined, a little smelly, but not too shabby.

My parents and I stayed in the hotel for a few nights while we waited for paint to dry and to set up furniture and not only did the hotel give internet, free breakfasts where I stole lots of cereal, oatmeal, tea bags and whatever else fit in my purse, and I also stole the phonebook which has served me very well as far as getting around with no internet or people to ask for directions. Iowa is good for my morals ;)

Once the paint dried-it took much longer than in AZ surprise surprise... we were able to put stuff in my room and were able to interpret the sweds directions semi-successfully from IKEA and my room is a bit crowded but I was able to fit all my crap surprisingly!

Once the stuff was mostly set up, my parents left in a much emptier truck on 8/1 and I was now on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment